Course Title: My Data Rules
Dates: 29 March 2019
28 November 2019
Time: 9.00am - 1.00pm
Room 1.046 A & B
Health Education & Learning Precinct (HELP)
Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne
Level 1 West Building
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1 half day
$100.00 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$220.00 for external full-time students
$385.00 for external applicants
My Data Rules is a hands-on session taking place in a computer lab. Participants will work through a recipe for converting raw data into cleaned datasets that can support robust, reliable and reproducible research results.
The course focuses on the mechanics of data cleaning and organising the storage of the many files produced for a research project, not the specifics of the software packages used. However, participants will need to be familiar with computer file management within Microsoft Windows, e.g. how to recognise different file types by their extensions and how to move files between directories.
At the completion of the course participants should be able to organise project data and analysis files in a systematic manner that will support well documented and reproducible results.
REDCap and Stata will be used for data entry and data checking, respectively. Some experience with these packages will be helpful but not essential.
Also see Research Data Essentials course running the previous day.
Prerequisite: Familiarity with computer file management within Microsoft Windows.
Materials supplied: full set of course notes plus a zipped file containing the files and directory structure used for the "My Data Rules" hands-on session.
Participants to supply: not applicable
Refreshments: morning tea will be provided.
Registration is via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when your register online.
Payment by cost centre transfer (MCRI employees only):
- Ask your cost centre manager to email MCRI finance dept with a request to transfer funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Marian into the correspondence.
- Once Marian receives confirmation of payment from MCRI finance dept she will email you a unique promotional code with which to register.
- Promotional code cannot be generated until payment confirmed.
Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement/cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by invoice (RCH and external organisations):
- Email Marian your organisation name and the name and email address of the person responsible for payment. We need to know who to follow up in the event the invoice is not paid.
- Include your name, the course name and date (many of our courses are run multiple times) and the cost of the course.
- Completed invoice will be emailed to you with a promotional code with which to register via Trybooking.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Register for My Data Rules HERE.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9936 6049