From the Centre for Community Child Health
Healthy eating habits are also the best way to put your child on the right track for a healthy, happy life.
The five food groups
Try to provide your child with a wide variety of foods each day from the five food groups:
- Grain foods- mostly wholegrain
- Milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives
- Lean meats and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts, seeds and legumes
Try to eat fruit, vegetables and grain foods most of the time, and moderate amounts of the other food groups.
Discovering healthy eating
Help your child learn about healthy eating:
- Grow food together in a veggie path, or herbs in a windowsills box. No space? Join a community garden!
- Prepare food together- the Dietiticians Association of Australia has yummy, healthy recipes
- Eat meals together as a family and inspire your child by enjoying healthy food together
- Find your closest farmers' market and chat with experts about where food comes from.
You will find more helpful information on the Raising Children Network and the Australian Dietary Guidelines. If more help is needed, please consult your family doctor or an Accredited Practising Dietitian.