Course Title: Introduction to Biostatistics
Course commences: 13 May 2019
Course concludes: 17 May 2019
Course commences: 21 October 2019
Course concludes: 25 October 2019
Time: 9.00am - 12.30pm each day
Health Education & Learning Precinct (HELP)
Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne
Level 1 West Building
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 5 half day sessions
$290.00 for internal applicants * Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$1100.00 for external applicants
$660.00 for external full-time students
A comprehensive introduction to the most commonly used methods of statistical analysis in clinical research, with an emphasis on the key underlying concepts and the interpretation of statistical findings including an introduction to the basic principles involved in determining the number of participants that need to be included in a quantitative study.
Topics covered in the course include:
- Descriptive statistics & Introduction to statistical inference (standard error, confidence interval)
- Continuous outcomes (confidence intervals, tests formeans)
- Binary (dichotomous) outcomes (confidence intervals, tests for proportions, risk ratio, odds ratio)
- Repeated measures (2 groups)
- Introduction to regression
- Sample size estimation: the basics
Materials supplied: full set of course notes
Participants to supply: calculator.
Refreshments: morning tea will be provided.
Registration is via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. The Trybooking link is available on the information page for each course. Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when your register online.
Payment by cost centre transfer (MCRI employees only):
- Ask your cost centre manager to email MCRI finance dept with a request to transfer funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Marian into the correspondence.
- Once Marian receives confirmation of payment from MCRI finance dept she will email you a unique promotional code with which to register.
- Promotional code cannot be generated until payment confirmed.
Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement/cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by invoice (RCH and external organisations):
- Email Marian your organisation name and the name and email address of the person responsible for payment. We need to know who to follow up in the event the invoice is not paid.
- Include your name, the course name and date (many of our courses are run multiple times) and the cost of the course.
- Completed invoice will be emailed to you with a promotional code with which to register via Trybooking.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Register for Introduction to Biostatistics HERE.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9936 6049