Course Title: Research Data Essentials
Dates: 28 April 2020
24 November 2020
Time: 9.00am - 5.00pm
The Royal Children’s Hospital Foundation
Level 2, 48 Flemington Road
RCHF MR - 5 FRC General Space
Parkville VIC 3052
(Directions: Access the lifts from 48 Flemington Rd, where the Larwill Studio hotel is located)
Duration: 1 day
$150.00 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$330.00 for external full-time students
$430.00 for external applicants
This course takes a look at many aspects of managing research project data throughout the life of a project, from designing a database for capturing good quality data, through to cleaning data and preparing it for analysis. The course is delivered as a classroom session. You may also wish to consider registering for the My Data Rules hands-on session the following morning.
At the completion of the course participants should:
- Understand the importance of ensuring the highest quality data for analysis purposes
- Understand that time spent carefully planning the collections and cleaning of data avoids time-wasting and frustration at the analysis stage
- Be able to design a simple database
- Understand the issues involved when designing a complex, relational database and know when to seek advice
- Be able to organise project data and analysis files in a systematic manner that will support well documented and reproducible results
Materials supplied: A full set of course notes will be made available in electronic format
Participants to supply: not applicable.
Refreshments: morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Payment and registration
Please note: in general this is a two-step process, you must arrange payment & then register on Trybooking
Registration is via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when your register online.
Payment via eProcurement (for internal MCRI staff only):
1) Payment must be made via eProcurement. Staff must not make credit card payment and seek reimbursement from an MCRI cost centre as this is not permitted.
Access eProcurement here or from the MCRI intranet homepage. Log in and click on CEBU courses and add to the shopping cart the CEBU course/s you wish to enrol in. Proceed to checkout and submit the requisition. Once your Cost Centre manager approves it, CEBU will email you with the promotional code to register for the course.
2) Registration: Use the code obtained at Step 1 to register for the course on the Trybooking site Note: your place in the course is not confirmed until you have registered via Trybooking.
Payment by invoice (for RCH employees and approved external organisations):
1) Email email@example.com, providing full details of your name, organisation name and the name and email address of the person responsible for payment. Include the course name and date (many of our courses are run multiple times) and the cost of the course.
2) CEBU will issue the invoice and then provide you with a code so you can register for the course on the Trybooking site.
3) Registration: Use the code obtained at Step 2 to register for the course on the Trybooking site
Note: your place in the course is not confirmed until you have registered via Trybooking.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to make payment.and register.
Please note there is a Trybooking fee of 50 cents per registration which will be applied when you register online.
Register for Research Data Essentials HERE.
Cancellation of registration: You can apply for a refund or request to change the course session to a different date, pending availability, within 7 calendar days prior to the course start date. No refunds or credits will be issued for cancellations or non-attendance after this time.
Fiona Snashall or Julie Perkins
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9345 6368 (Fiona Snashall or Julie Perkins)