Course Title: Stata II: Data Management & Analysis
- 1 - 2 May 2019 (TBC)
- 18 - 19 November 2019 (TBC)
Day 1: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am - 1.00pm
Health Education Learning Precinct
Department of Paediatrics, UOM
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1.5 days
$220 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI,RCH and DoPs only.
$825 for external applicants
$550 for external full-time students
In this second Stata course, participants will learn how to clean data, combine data files, reshape repeated measures or clustered data between "wide" and "long" formats and carry out basic data analysis. The data analysis topics covered include: producing descriptive statistics, calculating confidence intervals, hypothesis testing (using chi square, t-tests and nonparametric tests), and calculating odds ratios and relative risks.
This course is designed for people who have completed our Stata I course or equivalent. It assumes participants will feel confident using basic commands in Stata, and creating log-files and do-files. The focus of the course is on learning to apply Stata in statistical analysis. As this is not a statistics course, participants are expected to have a basic knowledge of statistics, at least at the level of our Introduction to Biostatistics course.
At the completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Remember the Stata commands taught in the Stata I course
- Perform the most commonly used univariate and bivariate statistical analyses
- Merge and append Stata data files
- Reshape data sets from "long" to "wide" form and vice versa
- Understand the basics of data cleaning
- Be able to create a do file for data cleaning
Materials supplied: a full set of course notes.
Participants to supply: ++ Participants may elect to bring their own laptop, please see below for conditions.
NB: This option is only available for internal participants.
Refreshments: Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Registration is via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. The Trybooking link is available on the information page for each course. Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when your register online.
Payment by cost centre transfer (MCRI employees only):
- Ask your cost centre manager to email MCRI finance dept with a request to transfer funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Marian into the correspondence.
- Once Marian receives confirmation of payment from MCRI finance dept she will email you a unique promotional code with which to register.
- Promotional code cannot be generated until payment confirmed.
Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement/cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by invoice (RCH and external organisations):
- Email Marian your organisation name and the name and email address of the person responsible for payment. We need to know who to follow up in the event the invoice is not paid.
- Include your name, the course name and date (many of our courses are run multiple times) and the cost of the course.
- Completed invoice will be emailed to you with a promotional code with which to register via Trybooking.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Registrations not yet open.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9936 6049
++ Conditions when providing personal laptops
- This option is available for MCRI, RCH & DOPs staff only
- This option is NOT AVAILABLE for Students from external organisations
The program software MUST be installed on your laptop prior to the course start date. Software cannot be installed by instructors on the day or during the course. The course cannot be delayed for students who arrive late or without the required software installed.
Installation of Stata for students who choose to bring their own laptop
30-day Stata licences and installation instructions will be emailed to course participants one week prior to commencement of the course. If you have any questions about installing the software please email Monsurul Hoq.
PLEASE NOTE: If you elect to bring your laptop and arrive without it, you will not be guaranteed use of a PC for the course and therefore may have to undertake the course as an observer only.