Course Title: Stata I: Introduction to Stata
- 13 - 14 February 2018
- 18 - 19 April 2018
- 6 - 7 June 2018
- 14 - 15 August 2018
- 17 - 18 October 2018
Day 1: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am - 1.00pm
Health Education Learning Precinct
Department of Paediatrics, UOM
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1.5 days
$220.00 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$825.00 for external applicants
$550.00 for external full-time students
The course aims to cover the most commonly used Stata commands. Participants will be shown how to enter and import data into Stata, inspect the data, produce descriptive statistics, change data and create new variables, create simple graphs, save results and data, and use Stata's extensive online help. Participants will learn techniques for organising their work efficiently in Stata.
The following topics are included in this course:
- Enter data into Stata
- Import Excel data into Stata
- Inspect and list the data in a Stata dataset
- Generate simple descriptive statistics for data
- Create simple graphs
- Change data and create new variables
- Save data
- Save results in a log file
- Use a do file to run Stata commands
- Save a Stata graph in Portable Network Graphic format
- Access Stata Help
The course is designed for beginning researchers but it assumes familiarity with:
- Computer file management within Microsoft Windows, e.g. how to recognise different file types by their extensions and how to move files between directories (N.B. although Stata is available for other platforms such as Macintosh, the courses are windows-based)..
- Full set of course notes
- All students will be issued with a 30 day free trial licence and a Stata program installation disk at the beginning of the Stata I courses.
Participants to supply:
++Participants may elect to bring their own laptop, please see below for conditions.
NB: This option is available for internal participants only.
Refreshments: Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
The process for registering for CEBU courses is changing from 2018. Registration will now be via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. The Trybooking link is available on the information page for each course. Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when your register online.
Please contact Marian Chandler via email prior to accessing Trybooking if you want to organise a cost centre transfer or invoice. Marian will provide you with a unique promotional code which will allow you to proceed to the checkout without entering payment details. The cost centre transfer process remains the same whereby you should advise your admin/finance person to arrange the transfer of funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Marian into the correspondence so that payment can be confirmed. Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement/cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9936 6049
++Conditions when providing personal laptops
- This option is available for MCRI, RCH & DOPs staff only
- This option is NOT AVAILABLE for Students from external organisations
- The program software MUST be installed on your laptop prior to the course start date. Software cannot be installed by instructors on the day or during the course. The course cannot be delayed for students who arrive late or without the required software installed.
Installation of Stata for students who choose to bring their own laptop
Students from RCH/MCRI/DOPs must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have the Stata program installed on their laptops no later than 7 days before the course start date.
PLEASE NOTE: If you elect to bring your laptop and arrive without it, you will not be guaranteed use of a PC for the course and therefore may have to undertake the course as an observer only.