Course Title: Stata I: Introduction to Stata
- 12 - 13 February 2019
- 20 - 21 March 2019
- 5 - 6 June 2019
- 15 - 16 August 2019
- 16 - 17 October 2019
Day 1: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am - 1.00pm
Health Education Learning Precinct
Department of Paediatrics, UOM
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1.5 days
$220.00 for internal applicants **Fee applies to staff from MCRI. RCH and DOPs only.
$550 for external full time students
$825.00 for external applicants
The course aims to cover the most commonly used Stata commands. Participants will be shown how to enter and import data into Stata, inspect the data, produce descriptive statistics, change data and create new variables, create simple graphs, save results and data, and use Stata's extensive online help. Participants will learn techniques for organising their work efficiently in Stata.
The following topics are included in this course:
- Enter data into Stata
- Import Excel data into Stata
- Inspect and list the data in a Stata dataset
- Generate simple descriptive statistics for data
- Create simple graphs
- Change data and create new variables
- Save data
- Save results in a log file
- Use a do file to run Stata commands
- Save a Stata graph in Portable Network Graphic format
- Access Stata Help
The course is designed for beginning researchers but it assumes familiarity with:
- Computer file management within Microsoft Windows, e.g. how to recognise different file types by their extensions and how to move files between directories (N.B. although Stata is available for other platforms such as Macintosh, the courses are windows-based)..
- Full set of course notes
- All students will be issued with a 30 day free trial licence and a Stata program installation disk at the beginning of the Stata I courses.
Participants to supply:
++Participants may elect to bring their own laptop, please see below for conditions.
NB: This option is available for internal participants only.
Refreshments: Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Registration is via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. The Trybooking link is available on the information page for each course. Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when your register online.
Payment by cost centre transfer (MCRI employees only):
- Ask your cost centre manager to email MCRI finance dept with a request to transfer funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Fiona Snashall into the correspondence.
- Once confirmation is confirmed Fiona will email you a unique promotional code with which to register.
- Promotional code cannot be generated until payment confirmed.
Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement/cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by invoice (RCH and external organisations):
- Email Fiona your organisation name and the name and email address of the person responsible for payment. We need to know who to follow up in the event the invoice is not paid.
- Include your name, the course name and date (many of our courses are run multiple times) and the cost of the course.
- Completed invoice will be emailed to you with a promotional code with which to register via Trybooking.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Register for Stata I HERE.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9345 6368 (Fiona Snashall or Julie Perkins)
++Conditions when providing personal laptops
- This option is available for MCRI, RCH & DOPs staff only
- This option is NOT AVAILABLE for Students from external organisations
- The program software MUST be installed on your laptop prior to the course start date. Software cannot be installed by instructors on the day or during the course. The course cannot be delayed for students who arrive late or without the required software installed.
Installation of Stata for students who choose to bring their own laptop
30-day Stata licences and installation instructions will be emailed to course participants one week prior to commencement of the course. If you have any questions about installing the software please email Monsurul Hoq.
PLEASE NOTE: If you elect to bring your laptop and arrive without it, you will not be guaranteed use of a PC for the course and therefore may have to undertake the course as an observer only.