Course Title: Stata I: Introduction to Stata
- 14 - 15 February 2017
- 5 - 6 April 2017
- 13 - 14 June 2017
- 16 - 17 August 2017
- 17 - 18 October 2017
Day 1: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am - 1.00pm
Health Education Learning Precinct
Department of Paediatrics, UOM
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1.5 days
$190.00 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$750.00 for external applicants
$500.00 for external full-time students
The course aims to cover the most commonly used Stata commands. Participants will be shown how to enter and import data into Stata, inspect the data, produce descriptive statistics, change data and create new variables, create simple graphs, save results and data, and use Stata's extensive online help. Participants will learn techniques for organising their work efficiently in Stata.
The following topics are included in this course:
- Enter data into Stata
- Import Excel data into Stata
- Inspect and list the data in a Stata dataset
- Generate simple descriptive statistics for data
- Create simple graphs
- Change data and create new variables
- Save data
- Save results in a log file
- Use a do file to run Stata commands
- Import a Stata graph into a Word document
- Access Stata Help
The course is designed for beginning researchers but it assumes familiarity with:
- Computer file management within Microsoft Windows, e.g. how to recognise different file types by their extensions and how to move files between directories (N.B. although Stata is available for other platforms such as Macintosh, the courses are windows-based).
- Elementary statistics, e.g. at the level of CEBU's workshop (3 half-days) Introduction to Biostatistics.
- Full set of course notes
- All students will be issued with a 30 day free trial licence and a Stata program installation disk at the beginning of the Stata I courses.
Participants to supply: Participants may elect to bring their own laptop, please see below for conditions++.
NB: This option is available for internal participants only.
Refreshments: Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Please organise with your admin/finance person to arrange transfer of funds from your cost centre to CEBU 50259. Send a copy of the internal transfer request along with the registration form.
Payment by cheque: Please make cheque payable to the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute and forward with registration form.
Payment by credit card: Please complete details on the registration form
Cancellation of registration
No refund will be paid for cancellations or swapping course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Donna De Sair
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9345 6368
++Conditions when providing personal laptops
- This option is available for MCRI, RCH & DOPs staff only
- This option is NOT AVAILABLE for Students from external organisations
- The program software MUST be installed on your laptop prior to the course start date. Software cannot be installed by instructors on the day or during the course. The course cannot be delayed for students who arrive late or without the required software installed.
Installation of Stata for students who choose to bring their own laptop
Students from RCH/MCRI/DOPs must contact email@example.com to have the Stata program installed on their laptops no later than 7 days before the course start date.
PLEASE NOTE: If you elect to bring your laptop and arrive without it, you will not be guaranteed use of a PC for the course and therefore may have to undertake the course as an observer only.