Course Title: Graphics in R
22 March 2019 (CANCELLED)
5 July 2019
3 October 2019
9.30am - 4.30pm
Health Education Learning Precinct
Department of Paediatrics, UOM
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1 day
$135.00 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$550.00 for external applicants
$295.00 for external full-time students
This session introduces participants to the graphing capabilities of R using the graphics (base) package. Participants will be shown how to produce a range of commonly used graphs, and how to customise these graphs to their own presentation needs. A demonstration of other graphing packages (e.g., ggplot2) will also feature but will not be the basis of this course.
The following topics are included in this course:
- Understand how to create various graphs including scatterplots, histograms, boxplots, barplots and line graphs with confidence intervals
- Customising graphs
- Create/edit titles and labels Change axes and markers
- Change colour on specific aspects of the graph
- Adding additional features such as a legend and text
- Produce multi-panelled graphs
- Overlay different graph types
- Export an R graph for a journal article
This course assumes participants are confident using basic commands in R, and creating R script files. As this is not a statistics course, participants are expected to have a basic knowledge of statistics, at least at the level of our Introduction to Biostatistics course.
Full set of course notes
++Participants may elect to bring their own laptop, please see below for conditions.
Refreshments: Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Registration is via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. The Trybooking link is available below at "register here". Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when you register online.
Payment by cost centre transfer (MCRI employees only):
- Ask your cost centre manager to email MCRI finance dept with a request to transfer funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Marian into the correspondence.
- Once Marian receives confirmation of payment from MCRI finance dept she will email you a unique promotional code with which to register.
- Promotional code cannot be generated until payment confirmed.
Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement/cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by invoice (RCH and external organisations):
- Email Marian your organisation name and the name and email address of the person responsible for payment. We need to know who to follow up in the event the invoice is not paid.
- Include your name, the course name and date (many of our courses are run multiple times) and the cost of the course.
- Completed invoice will be emailed to you with a promotional code with which to register via Trybooking.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9936 6049
++Conditions when providing personal laptops
- The program software MUST be installed on your laptop prior to the course start date. Software cannot be installed by instructors on the day or during the course. The course cannot be delayed for students who arrive late or without the required software installed.
- If you do not have the software installed please contact email@example.com for instructions on how to install the required (free) software on your laptop before the course start date.
PLEASE NOTE: If you elect to bring your laptop and arrive without it, you will not be guaranteed use of a PC for the course and therefore may have to undertake the course as an observer only.