Course Title: Introduction to the R software
- 25 - 26 February 2019
- 20 - 21 June 2019
- 16 - 17 September 2019
Day 1: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am - 1.00pm
Health Education Learning Precinct
Department of Paediatrics, UOM
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1.5 days
$190.00 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$770.00 for external applicants
$495.00 for external full-time students
The course aims to introduce the basics of the R software within the RStudio environment.
The following topics are included in this course:
- How R works
- Importing data of different file types into R
- Inspect and list the data in an R object
- Generate simple descriptive statistics for data
- Create simple graphs – box plots, scatter plots and histograms
- Change data and create new variables
- Use a script file to run a sequence of R commands
- Install R packages and update R
- Use the R Help system
The course is designed for beginning researchers but it assumes familiarity with computer file management within Microsoft Windows. For example, how to recognise different file types by their extensions and how to move files between directories. Please note: although R is available for other platforms such as Macintosh, the course will be windows-based.
- Full set of course notes
Participants may supply own laptops (internal participants only): Please see below for conditions.
Refreshments: Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Registration is via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. The Trybooking link is available below at "register here". Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when you register online.
Payment by cost centre transfer (MCRI employees only):
- Ask your cost centre manager to email MCRI finance dept with a request to transfer funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Marian into the correspondence.
- Once Marian receives confirmation of payment from MCRI finance dept she will email you a unique promotional code with which to register.
- Promotional code cannot be generated until payment confirmed.
Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement/cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by invoice (RCH and external organisations):
- Email Marian your organisation name and the name and email address of the person responsible for payment. We need to know who to follow up in the event the invoice is not paid.
- Include your name, the course name and date (many of our courses are run multiple times) and the cost of the course.
- Completed invoice will be emailed to you with a promotional code with which to register via Trybooking.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Register for Introduction to R HERE.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9936 6049
Conditions when providing personal laptops
- The program software MUST be installed on your laptop prior to the course start date. Software cannot be installed by instructors on the day or during the course. The course cannot be delayed for students who arrive late or without the required software installed.
- Installation of R for students who choose to bring their own laptop:
Students from RCH/MCRI/DOPs must contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to install the required software on their laptops no later than 7 days before the course start date.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you elect to bring your laptop and arrive without it, you will not be guaranteed use of a PC for the course and therefore may have to undertake the course as an observer only.