Course Title: Introduction to the R software
- 1 - 2 October 2018
- 13 - 14 December 2018
Day 1: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am - 1.00pm
Health Education Learning Precinct
Department of Paediatrics, UOM
Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
Duration: 1.5 days
$190.00 for internal applicants ** Fee applies to staff from MCRI, RCH and DOPs only
$770.00 for external applicants
$495.00 for external full-time students
The course aims to introduce the basics of the R software within the RStudio environment.
The following topics are included in this course:
- How R works
- Importing data of different file types into R
- Inspect and list the data in an R object
- Generate simple descriptive statistics for data
- Create simple graphs – box plots, scatter plots and histograms
- Change data and create new variables
- Use a script file to run a sequence of R commands
- Install R packages and update R
- Use the R Help system
The course is designed for beginning researchers but it assumes familiarity with computer file management within Microsoft Windows. For example, how to recognise different file types by their extensions and how to move files between directories. Please note: although R is available for other platforms such as Macintosh, the course will be windows-based.
- Full set of course notes
Participants may supply own laptops (internal participants only): Please see below for conditions.
Refreshments: Morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Registration for all CEBU courses is now via Trybooking whether you are paying via cost centre transfer, invoice or credit card. The Trybooking link is available below at "register here". Please note there is an additional Trybooking fee of 30 cents per registration which will be applied when you register online.
Please contact Marian Chandler via email prior to accessing Trybooking if you want to organise a cost centre transfer or invoice. Marian will provide you with a unique promotional code which will allow you to proceed to the checkout without entering payment details. The cost centre transfer process remains the same whereby you should advise your admin/finance person to arrange the transfer of funds from your cost centre to CEBU 68092 and CC Marian into the correspondence so that payment can be confirmed. Please DO NOT book directly through Trybooking then organise a reimbursement or cost centre transfer after the event. This creates an additional workload for both CEBU and the finance department.
Payment by credit card: Proceed directly to Trybooking and follow the prompts to register.
Cancellation of registration: No refund of payment will be paid for cancellations or swapping of course dates unless received 7 calendar days prior to the course start date.
Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics Unit (CEBU)
Murdoch Children's Research Institute
The Royal Children's Hospital
PARKVILLE VIC 3052
T: 9936 6049
Conditions when providing personal laptops
- This option is available for MCRI, RCH & DOPs staff only
- This option is NOT AVAILABLE for students from external organisations
- The program software MUST be installed on your laptop prior to the course start date. Software cannot be installed by instructors on the day or during the course. The course cannot be delayed for students who arrive late or without the required software installed.
- Installation of R for students who choose to bring their own laptop. Students from RCH/MCRI/DOPs must contact email@example.com for instructions on how to install the required software on their laptops no later than 7 days before the course start date.
PLEASE NOTE: If you elect to bring your laptop and arrive without it, you will not be guaranteed use of a PC for the course and therefore may have to undertake the course as an observer only.