You are here
Dr Michelle Telfer
Associate Professor Michelle Telfer is a Paediatrician and Adolescent Medicine Physician. She is currently the Director of the Department of Adolescent Medicine at The Royal Children’s Hospital (RCH) Melbourne. She is also the Director of the RCH Gender Service, being instrumental in the development and expansion of the clinical and research programs with rising demand for trans-medicine in children and adolescents. As an advocate for improved access to medical treatment, Michelle was central to the achievement of federal legal reform, with trans and gender diverse young people now being able access hormone and surgical treatment without the need for approval by the Family Court of Australia. She is also the lead author of the Australian Standards of Care and Treatment Guidelines for trans and gender diverse children and adolescents which was endorsed through an editorial in The Lancet, and she was personally profiled in The Lancet Child and Adolescent Health in 2019.
Michelle was awarded the 2017 GLOBE Community Award for LGBTI Ally of the Year. In 2015 and 2018, the RCH Gender Service was awarded the Minister for Mental Health’s Award for excellence in consumer leadership and advocacy at the Victorian Public Healthcare Awards. She received a Lifetime Achievement Award in Adolescent Health by the Australian Association for Adolescent Health in 2019.
Prior to studying medicine at the University of Western Australia Michelle was a gymnast with the Western Australian Institute of Sport. As a 16 year old she won silver and bronze medals at the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland and was a member of the 1992 Olympic Gymnastics Team in Barcelona.
- 2017 GLOBE Community Award for LGBTI Ally of the Year.
- 2015 and 2018, the RCH Gender Service was awarded the Minister for Mental Health’s Award for excellence in consumer leadership and advocacy at the Victorian Public Healthcare Awards.
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Adolescent Health by the Australian Association for Adolescent Health in 2019.
- Hughes EK, Poker S, Bortz A, Yeo M, Telfer M and Sawyer SM (2020) Adolescent and Parent Experience of Care at a Family-Based Treatment Service for Eating Disorders. Front. Psychiatry 11:310. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2020.00310
- Pang KC, Peri AJS, Chung HE, Telfer M, Elder C, Grover S, Jayasinghe Y. Rates of Fertility Preservation Use Among Transgender Adolescents. JAMA Pediatrics April 13, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2020.0264
- Pang KC, Notini L, McDougall R, Gillam L, Savulescu J, Wilkinson D, Clark BA, Olson-Kennedy J, Telfer MM, Lantos JD. (2019) Ethics Rounds: Long-term puberty suppression for a non-binary teen. Pediatrics. 2020;145(2):e20191606
- Tollit MA, Pace CC, Telfer M, et al. What are the health outcomes of trans and gender diverse young people in Australia? Study protocol for the Trans20 longitudinal cohort study. BMJ Open 2019;9:e032151. doi:10.1136/ bmjopen-2019-032151
- Winter S, Ehrensaft D, Telfer M, T’Sjoen G, Koh J, Pickstone-Taylor S, Kruger A, Griffin L, Foigel M, De Cuypere G, Karasic D. ICD-11 and gender incongruence of childhood: a rethink is needed. The Lancet Child and Adolescent Health. August 2019 https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-4642(19)30263-9
- Pang KC, Telfer MM, Tollit MA, Pace CC. (2019). Everyone agrees transgender children require more science. Medical Journal of Australia. doi: 10.5694/mja2.50237
- Michelle A. Tollit, Debi Feldman, Gabrielle McKie, and Michelle M. Telfer. Patient and Parent Experiences of Care at a Pediatric Gender Service. Transgender Health. May 2018 ahead of print http://doi.org/10.1089/trgh.2018.0016 Published in Volume: 3 Issue 1: December 28, 2018
- Telfer M, Kelly F, Feldman D, Stone G, Robinson R, Poulakis Z. Transgender adolescents and legal reform: How improved access to healthcare was achieved through medical, legal and community collaboration. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 54 (2018) 1096–1099.
- Ken C. Pang, Debi Feldman, Ralph Oertel, and Michelle Telfer. Molecular Karyotyping in Children and Adolescents with Gender Dysphoria. Transgender Health, Vol. 3, No. 1, August 2018: 147-153.
- The Lancet Editorial. Gender-affirming care needed for transgender children. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31429-6. Published 30 June 2018
- Telfer MM, Pang K, Pace C, Tollit M. The Creation of the Australian Standards of Care and Treatment Guidelines for Trans and Gender Diverse Children and Adolescents. Med J Aust doi: 10.5694/mja17.01044 18 June 18
- Eade Donna M., Telfer Michelle M., and Tollit Michelle A. Implementing a Single-Session Nurse-Led Assessment Clinic into a Gender Service. Transgender Health. Apr 2018
- Telfer MM, Pang K, Pace C, Tollit M. The Creation of the Australian Standards of Care and Treatment Guidelines for Trans and Gender Diverse Children and Adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health, Vol 62, Issue 2, S49-S50.
- Telfer, M.M., Tollit, M.A., Pace, C.C., & Pang, K.C. Australian Standards of Care and Treatment Guidelines for Trans and Gender Diverse Children and Adolescents. Melbourne: The Royal Children’s Hospital; 2017
- Knight, KW, Stephensen SE, West S, Delatycki MB, Jones CA, Little MH, Patton GC, Sawyer SM, Skinner SR, Telfer MM, Wake M, North KN, Oberklaid F. The Kids are OK: it is discrimination not same-sex parents that harms children. Med J Aust. 2017 Nov 6;207(9):374-375
- Telfer, M., Tollit, M. and Feldman, D. (2015), Transformation of health-care and legal systems for the transgender population: The need for change in Australia. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health.
- Sawyer SM, Telfer M, Grover SR. Adolescent Medicine. In: Gwee A, Marks M, eds. Paediatric Handbook. 8th ed. Melbourne: Blackwell Science; 2015.
- Australian Human Rights Commission National Consultation Report. Resilient Individuals: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Rights 2015 (Contributor)
- International Editorial Board Member of the journal 'Transgender Health'