Dr Jovana Maksimovic
After completing a Bachelor of Science (Honours) / Bachelor of Bioinformatics at La Trobe University, majoring in biochemistry, genetics and computer science, Dr Maksimovic worked at the Department of Primary Industries for two years as part of their graduate program. During this time she worked on many diverse research projects and developed an interest in the biology of lactation.
She began her PhD at Monash in 2007 on a Department of Primary Industries project investigating the expression and regulation of a gene family involved in the production of a subset of milk oligosaccharides that are of particular interest in infant nutrition. She currently works as a Postdoctoral Scientist in the bioinformatics group at Murdoch Childrens Research Institute.
- International Milk Genomics Consortium Student Travel Award, International Milk Genomics Consortium, 2008
- Gardiner Foundation Student Award, Gardiner Foundation, 2007
- Best Poster by an Early Mid Career Researcher, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, 2012
- Honours Biochemistry Prize, La Trobe University, 2004
- Microsoft Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Graphics Programming, La Trobe University, 2003
- Second Year Biochemistry Prize, La Trobe University, 2002
- Australian Postgraduate Award, Monash University, 2007
- Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Excellence Award, Monash University, 2007
Dr Maksimovic's research focus is on the analysis of epigenetic data, particularly DNA methylation, but also includes histone marks and gene expression. She is actively involved in the development of new computational and statistical methods for the analysis of various types of high-throughput epigenetic data. A particular interest is in immunology and the involvement of epigenetics in autoimmune disease.
- Removing Unwanted Variation in a Differential Methylation Analysis of Illumina HumanMethylation450 BeadChips
- missMethyl: A Bioconductor package for the analysis of Illumina HumanMethylation450 BeadChip data
- Genome-wide DNA methylation in human regulatory T cells
- Methylation of the Major Histocompatibility Complex
Jovana Maksimovic, Lavinia Gordon, Alicia Oshlack, SWAN: Subset-quantile within array normalization for illumina infinium HumanMethylation450 BeadChips , (2012), Genome Biology 13(6), R44
D Martino, J Maksimovic, JHE Joo, SL Prescott, R Saffery, Genome-scale profiling reveals a subset of genes regulated by DNA methylation that program somatic T-cell phenotypes in humans , (2012), Genes and immunity 13(5), 388-398
Josef Wagner, Jovana Maksimovic, Gabriella Farries, Winnie H Sim, Ruth F Bishop, Donald J Cameron, Anthony G Catto-Smith, Carl D Kirkwood, Bacteriophages in gut samples from pediatric Crohn's disease patients: metagenomic analysis using 454 pyrosequencing , (2013), Inflammatory bowel diseases, 19 (8), 1598-1608
Ji Hun Kim, Tao Zhang, Nicholas C Wong, Nadia Davidson, Jovana Maksimovic, Alicia Oshlack, William C Earnshaw, Paul Kalitsis, Damien F Hudson, Condensin I associates with structural and gene regulatory regions in vertebrate chromosomes , (2013), Nature communications 4:2537
Yuxia Zhang*, Jovana Maksimovic*, Gaetano Naselli, Junyan Qian, Michael Chopin, Marnie E Blewitt, Alicia Oshlack, Leonard C Harrison, Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis identifies hypomethylated genes regulated by FOXP3 in human regulatory T cells , (2013), Blood 122(16):2823-36
Jovana Maksimovic, Julie A Sharp, Kevin R Nicholas, Benjamin G Cocks, Keith Savin, Conservation of the ST6Gal I gene and its expression in the mammary gland , Glycobiology 21(4), 467-481
Nicholas C Wong, Vivek A Bhadri, Jovana Maksimovic, Mandy Parkinson-Bates, Jane Ng, Jeff M Craig, Richard Saffery, Richard B Lock, Stability of gene expression and epigenetic profiles highlights the utility of patient-derived paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukaemia xenografts for investigating molecular mechanisms of drug resistance , (2014), BMC genomics 15(1), 416
Yuxia Zhang*, Sarah Kinkel*, Jovana Maksimovic*, Esther Bandala-Sanchez, Maria C Tanzer, Gaetano Naselli, Jian-Guo Zhang, Yifan Zhan, Andrew M Lew, John Silke, Alicia Oshlack, Marnie E Blewitt, Leonard C Harrison, The polycomb repressive complex 2 governs life and death of peripheral T cells , (2014), Blood 124(5):737-49