You are here
Dr Cattram Nguyen
Cattram Nguyen is a postdoctoral biostatistician (Senior Research Officer) at MCRI, where she has joint appointments with the Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit, the New Vaccines Group and the Asia-Pacific Health Research Group. She also has affiliations with the University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics and the Victorian Centre for Biostatistics.
Cattram completed a PhD in biostatistics in 2015 (University of Melbourne) which focused on multiple imputation and missing data methodology. She also has a Master of Biostatistics from the University of Melbourne (Biostatistics Collaboration of Australia). During her Masters, she spent several periods abroad, including internships at the World Health Organization and the Research and Training Centre for Community Development in Vietnam.
From 2014-2016, Cattram was a biostatistician/research fellow in the Transition to Contemporary Parenthood Program of the Judith Lumley Centre (La Trobe University). She has also worked at the Centre for Biostatistics and Clinical Trials at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, where she coordinated seven multi-centre cancer clinical trials at various stages of development and conduct.
- Australian Epidemiological Association, Mid-Career Travel Award, 2018
- Student Conference Award, International Society for Clinical Biostatistics, 2013
- Student Travel Award, Statistical Society of Australia, 2013
- Australian Postgraduate Award, 2011-2014
- Annual Award for Excellence, Biostatistics Collaboration of Australia, 2008 and 2009
Cattram’s research portfolio spans statistical methodology and applied research in maternal and child health, with a focus on vaccines and vaccine preventable diseases in the Asia-Pacific region. She has been working in pneumococcal vaccine research since 2014. Major projects include pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) trials in Vietnam and the Gambia, and PCV impact evaluations in Fiji, Mongolia, Laos, and Papua New Guinea.
Cattram's PhD research focused on multiple imputation, a statistical technique for handling incomplete data. As part of her PhD, she evaluated methods for checking the goodness-of-fit of models used in multiple imputation. She continues to conduct research in multiple imputation methods (as part of an NHMRC project grant on missing data methods), and is part of the Missing Data research group of the Victorian Centre for Biostatistics.
She is also involved in teaching biostatistics through the MCRI and the Victorian Centre for Biostatistics. She is also co-supervising 5 PhD students through the University of Melbourne.
- PreYIAL: RCT of the use of azithromycin in labour, partnering with Colonial War Memorial Hospital (Fiji) [GNT1144111]
- Cluster-randomised pneumococcal vaccine trial in The Gambia (with MRC The Gambia)
- 2 pneumococcal vaccine trials in collaboration with the Pasteur Institute (Vietnam)
- PneuCAPTIVE study to examine vaccine impact on pneumococcal carriage in PNG, Laos And Mongolia
- Fiji New Vaccine Evaluation Project
- MATE (Molecular Assessment of Thoracic Empyema) project
- Statistical research in missing data methodology [GNT1166023]
- DAISY: RCT of peer support to prevent post-natal depression, partnering with Royal Women's Hospital and La Trobe University [NHMRC GNT 1141284]
- HARMONY: RCT of general practice intervention to prevent domestic violence (La Trobe University) [GNT1134477]
Nguyen, CD, Moreno-Betancur, M, Rodwell, L, Romaniuk, H, Carlin, JB, Lee, KJ. Multiple imputation of semi-continuous exposure variables that are categorized for analysis. Stat Med. 2021; 1– 14.
Mainzer, R., Apajee, J., Nguyen, C.D., Carlin J.B., Lee, K.J. A comparison of multiple imputation strategies for handling missing data in multi-item scales: guidance for longitudinal studies. Stat Med 2021; 1-15
Nguyen, C.D., Carlin, J.B. & Lee, K.J. (2021) Practical strategies for handling breakdown of multiple imputation procedures. Emerg Themes Epidemiol 18, 5.
Reyburn R, Tuivaga EJ, Nguyen CD, et al.. The impact of the introduction of 10-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on pneumonia in Fiji. Lancet Global Health. 2020
Jenney AWJ, Reyburn R, Ratu FT, Tuivaga E, Nguyen C, et al.. The impact of the rotavirus vaccine on diarrhoea, five years following national introduction in Fiji. The Lancet Regional Health – Western Pacific. 2020.
Weaver, R*., Nguyen, C.*, et al. (2020). "The effectiveness of the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against hypoxic pneumonia in children in Lao People's Democratic Republic: An observational hospital-based test-negative study." The Lancet Regional Health - Western Pacific 2: 100014.
Lai, J., Nguyen, C., Tabwaia, B. et al. Temporal decline in diarrhea episodes and mortality in Kiribati children two years following rotavirus vaccine introduction, despite high malnutrition rates: a retrospective review. BMC Infect Dis 20, 207 (2020).
Neal EFG, Flasche S, Nguyen CD, Ratu FT, Dunne EM, et al. Associations between ethnicity, social contact, and pneumococcal carriage three years post-PCV10 in Fiji. Vaccine. 2020;38(2):202-11.
Temple B, Toan NT, Dai VTT, Bright K, Licciardi PV, Marimla RA, Nguyen CD et al. Immunogenicity and reactogenicity of ten-valent versus 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccines among infants in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet Infectious diseases. 2019;19(5):497-509.
Satzke C, Dunne EM, Choummanivong M, Ortika BD, Neal EFG, Pell CL, Nation ML, Fox KK, Nguyen CD, et al. Pneumococcal carriage in vaccine-eligible children and unvaccinated infants in Lao PDR two years following the introduction of the 13-valent PCV. Vaccine. 2019;37(2):296-305.
Graham HR, Bakare AA, Ayede AI, Gray AZ, McPake B, Peel D, Olatinwo O, Oyewole OB, Neal EFG, Nguyen CD, et al. Oxygen systems to improve clinical care and outcomes for children and neonates: A stepped-wedge cluster-randomised trial in Nigeria. PLoS Med. 2019;16(11)
von Mollendorf C, La Vincente S, Ulziibayar M, Suuri B, Luvsantseren D, Narangerel D, Campo J, de Campo M, Nguyen C, et al. Epidemiology of pneumonia in the pre-pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era in children 2-59 months of age, in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 2015-2016. PloS one. 2019;14(9):e0222423.
Neal EFG, Nguyen C, Ratu FT, et al. A Comparison of Pneumococcal Nasopharyngeal Carriage in Very Young Fijian Infants Born by Vaginal or Cesarean Delivery. JAMA network open. 2019;2(10):e1913650.
Gidi NW, Berhane M, Girma T, Abdissa A, Lim R, Lee K, Nguyen C, Russell F. Anthropometric measures that identify premature and low birth weight newborns in Ethiopia: a cross-sectional study with community follow-up. Archives of disease in childhood. 2019.
Chan J, Nguyen CD et al. Using pneumococcal carriage studies to monitor vaccine impact in low- and middle-income countries. Vaccine. 2019;37(43):6299-309.
Murad C, Dunne EM, Sudigdoadi S, Fadlyana E, Tarigan R, Pell CL, Watts E, Nguyen CD, et al. Pneumococcal carriage, density, and co-colonization dynamics: A longitudinal study in Indonesian infants. IJID. 2019;86:73-81.
Boelsen LK, Dunne EM, Mika M, Eggers S, Nguyen CD, Ratu FT, et al. The association between pneumococcal vaccination, ethnicity, and the nasopharyngeal microbiota of children in Fiji. Microbiome. 2019;7(1):106.
Nguyen CD, Strazdins L, et al. Impact of missing data strategies in studies of parental employment and health. Social science & medicine. 2018;209:160-8.
Dunne EM, Satzke C, Ratu FT, Neal EFG, Boelsen LK, Matanitobua S, Pell CL, Nation ML, Ortika BD, Reyburn R, Jenkins K, Nguyen C, et al. Effect of ten-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine introduction on pneumococcal carriage in Fiji: results from four annual cross-sectional carriage surveys. The Lancet Global health. 2018;6(12):e1375-e85.
Chan J, Nguyen CD, Lai JYR, Dunne EM, Andrews R, Blyth CC, et al. Determining the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine coverage required for indirect protection against vaccine-type pneumococcal carriage in low and middle-income countries: a protocol for a prospective observational study. BMJ open. 2018;8(5):e021512.
Reyburn R, Nand D, Nguyen C, Naidu S, et al. Validation of administrative data to estimate vaccine impact: Audit of the Fiji hospital admissions electronic database, 2007-2011 & 2014-2015. Vaccine. 2017;35(47):6416-21.
Nguyen CD, Carlin JB, Lee KJ. Model checking in multiple imputation: an overview and case study. Emerging themes in epidemiology. 2017;14:8
- MRFF Preventive and Public Health Research (Chief Investigator F): Exploring the impact of midwife-led group antenatal care on caesarean section rates and infant health: a multi-site randomised controlled trial (2021-2026); CIA: Della Forster1-2026
- Medical Research Council (UK) MR/V011626/1 (Investigator): Duration of protection and density of colonisation following pneumococcal conjugate vaccination with a booster dose PI: Grant Mackenzie.
- NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence (Chief Investigator J). Asia-Pacific Pneumococcal Disease Control in the Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Era (2020-2024); CIA: Fiona Russell.
- MRFF Preventive and Public Health Research (Chief Investigator H). Exploring the impact of caseload midwifery on preterm birth among vulnerable and disadvantaged women: a multi-centre randomised controlled trial (2020-2024); CIA: Helen McLachlan.
- NHMRC 1165084 (Chief Investigator D): Pneumococcal vaccines and long-term protection (2019-2021)
- NHMRC 1166023 (Chief Investigator D): Addressing new challenges with missing data in complex epidemiological studies: methods, guidance and software (2019-2021).
- NHMRC 1144111 (Chief Investigator F): Preventing Young Infant infections using azithromycin in labour: a blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial (2018-2021)
- NHMRC 1141284 (Chief Investigator G): Preventing postnatal depression in new mothers using telephone peer support: a randomised controlled trial (2018-2021)
- NHMRC 1134477 (Associate Investigator): a cluster RCT of a general practice intervention to reduce domestic violence among migrant and refugee communities (2017-2020)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation OPP1138798 (Statistician): PVS trial- A cluster-randomised, non-inferiority trial of 2- or 3-dose schedule of PCV in rural Gambia (2018-2022)
- Joint Global Health Trials Scheme (Statistician): PVS trial