You are here
Dr Daniel Engelman
Dr Daniel Engelman is a post-doctoral research fellow. He also works as a consultant paediatrician at the Royal Children’s Hospital. He has further qualifications and training in public health and tropical diseases, and has lived and worked in the Northern Territory and several Pacific Island nations. Dr Engelman completed his PhD at the University of Melbourne in 2017 on the topic of population-based screening for rheumatic heart disease. He commenced post-doctoral research in 2018, supported by an NHMRC Early Career Fellowship and MCRI Clinician Scientist Fellowship. He is the Secretary of the International Alliance for the Control of Scabies, vice-chair of the Neglected Tropical Skin Disease group for the NTD NGO Network (NNN), and technical advisor to the Fiji RHD Control Program.
· General Paediatrician, Department of General Medicine, Royal Children's Hospital
· Senior Research Fellow (Honorary), Centre for International Child Health, University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics
· 2018: Finalist, Victorian Premier's Award for Health and Medical Research Excellence
· 2018: NHMRC Early Career Fellowship
· 2018: MCRI Clinician Scientist Fellowship
· 2017: University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics ‘Rising Star’ award.
· 2014: NHMRC / National Heart Foundation Postgraduate scholarship
· 2014: MCRI Clifford family scholarship
· 2014: University of Melbourne Nossal Global Scholars Award
· 2012: Jeannie H Poolman prize
Dr Daniel Engelman is interested in infectious diseases that are inequitably distributed in disadvantaged children, and that lead to exacerbation of poverty and disadvantage.
His post-doctoral research relates to the diagnosis, treatment and community control of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), particularly diseases affecting the skin. His work is investigating strategies to reduce the burden and complications of scabies and impetigo which commonly affect children in the Pacific, including Indigenous children in northern Australia. Dr Engelman also continues active research on the prevention and control of rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease, following from his doctoral research in these topics.
Dr Engelman also works with the International Child Health and Clinical Paediatrics groups on broader research interests related to global child health and general inpatient and outpatient paediatrics.
Control of scabies and other Neglected Tropical Diseases
· Big SHIFT: Big Skin Health Intervention Fiji Trial
· RISE trial: Regimen Ivermectin Scabies Eradication (Solomon Islands)
· Development and validation of diagnostic criteria for Scabies
· International Alliance for the Control of Scabies (IACS)
· Development of moxidectin as a treatment for scabies
Prevention and control of Rheumatic Heart Disease
· Screening for Rheumatic Heart Disease
· Fiji Islands Rheumatic Heart Disease Control and Prevention
· Acute Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatic Heart Disease in Victoria
· The GOAL trial (Uganda)
· National Heart Foundation (NHF)