You are here
A/Professor Matt Sabin
Dr Matthew Sabin is a Senior Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute and University of Melbourne, as well as Director of Endocrinology and Diabetes at The Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne.
His clinical practice is in mainstream paediatric endocrinology and diabetes, and he also runs the largest tertiary-hospital paediatric obesity service in Australia. He is internationally recognised for expertise in the management of paediatric obesity, as well as public health, clinical and basic science research in the field. He has published more than 90 research papers, and is the Deputy Editor of the journal 'Clinical Obesity' and an Editorial Board member of the 'Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health'. He supervises a team of researchers investigating links between childhood obesity and its related comorbidities. He is also Deputy Chair of the Human Research Ethics Committee at The Royal Children’s Hospital, and a Council member of the Australasian Paediatric Endocrine Group.
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer in Physiology, Monash University
- 2012: The European Atherosclerosis Society awarded Dr Markus Juonala the Young Investigator Award for our following publication: Childhood Adiposity, Adult Adiposity and Cardiovascular Risk Factors.
- 2011: Henning Andersen Prize – awarded to Julia Galhardo for the most highly rated clinical abstract submitted to the 50th Annual Meeting of the European Society of Paediatric Endocrinology, Glasgow (UK).
- May 2008: Awarded one of ten places at a Nobel Conference on Systems Biology and Child Health, organised through the Nobel Assembly and the Karolinska Institute (Sweden)
- Jan 2007: International Fellow of the Specialist Certification of Obesity Professional Education programme. Awarded by the World Obesity Foundation for an outstanding contribution to the management of obesity across the world.
- Nov 2005: Association for the Study of Obesity Best Practice Award. Team award for “Experiences in establishing a hospital based, childhood obesity programme".
Dr Sabin's research interests are in the links between childhood obesity and its health related complications. These include Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- The Childhood Overweight BioRepository of Obesity
- Investigating the role of IGFBP-2 in the development of obesity and Type 2 diabetes
- Investigating the set-point theory of weight regulation in children
- The role of early life infection in the development of later obesity
- Improving the clinical management of overweight and obese youth
Reekie J, Hosking SPM, Prakash C, Kung-Ting K, Juonala M, Sabin MA. The effect of antidepressants and antipsychotics on weight gain in children and adolescents. Obesity Reviews. 2015. In Press. IF: 7.9.
Oikonen M, Nuotio J, Magnussen C, Viikari J, Taittonen L, Laitinen T, Hutri-Kähönen N, Jokinen E, Jula A, Cheung M, Sabin MA, Daniels S, Raitakari O, Juonala M. Repeated blood pressure measurements in childhood in prediction of hypertension in adulthood. Hypertension. In Press. 2015. IF 6.5
Juonala M, Pulkki-Råback L, Elovainio M, Hakulinen C, Magnussen CG, Sabin MA, Burgner DP, Hare DL, Hartiala O, Ukkonen H, Saraste A, Kajander S, Hutri-Kähönen N, Kähönen M, Rinta-Kiikka I, Laitinen T, Kainulainen S, Viikari JSA, Raitakari O. Childhood psychosocial factors and coronary artery calcification in adulthood. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. JAMA Pediatrics. In Press. 2015. IF 7.1
Juonala M, Sabin MA, Burgner DP, Cheung M, Kähönen M, Hutri-Kähönen N, Lehtimäki T, Jokinen E, Koskinen J, Tossavainen P, Laitinen T, Viikari JSA, Raitakari OT, Magnussen CG. High Body Mass Index in parent-child dyads strongly predicts the child’s later eligibility for bariatric surgery: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015; 100(11):4257-63. IF 6.3
Sabin MA, Burgner D, Atkinson R, Lee ZP-L, Magnussen C, Cheung M, Kahonen M, Lehtimaki T, Jokinen E, Laitinen, Hutri-Kähönen N, Viikari J, Juonala M, Raitakari O. Longitudinal investigation of adenovirus 36 seropositivity and human obesity: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. International Journal of Obesity. 2015; 39(11): 1644-50. IF 5.4
Burgner D, Sabin MA, Magnussen C, Cheung M, Kähönen M, Lehtimaki T, Hutri-Kähönen N, Jokinen E, Laitinen T, Taittonen L, Tossavainen P, Dwyer T, Viikari J, Raitakari O, Juonala M. Infection-related hospitalization in childhood and adult metabolic outcomes. Pediatrics. 2015; 136(3): e554-62. IF 5.3
Juonala M, Voipio A, Pahkala K, Viikari JSA, Mikkilä V, Kähönen M, Hutri-Kähönen N, Jula A, Burgner D, Sabin MA, Marniemi J, Loo B-M, Laitinen T, Jokinen E, Taittonen L, Magnussen CG, Raitakari OT. Childhood 25-OH vitamin D levels and carotid intima-media thickness in adulthood. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015; 100(4): 1469-76. IF 6.3
Yau S, Russo V, Clarke IJ, Dunshea FR, Werther GA, Sabin MA. IGFBP-2 inhibits adipogenesis and lipogenesis in human visceral, but not subcutaneous, adipocytes. International Journal of Obesity. In Press 2015. IF 5.4
Burgner D, Cheung M, Sabin MA. Letter in response to: “Cardiovascular Risk and Events in 17 Low-, Middle-, and High-Income Countries; Yusuf et al”. NEJM. 2015; 372(3):289-90. IF 53.5
Sabin MA, Magnussen C, Juonala M, Shield JPH, Kähönen M, Lehtimaki T, Rönnemaan T, Koskinen J, Loo B, Knip M, Hutri-Kähönen N Viikari J, Dwyer T, Raitakari O. Insulin and Body Mass Index as Predictors of Adult Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Pediatrics. 2015; 135(1): e144-51. IF 5.3