What is Vitality?
There has been an increase in food allergy in recent years. The cause of this is unknown; however, the number of people experiencing allergic reactions has significantly increased. The aims of this study are to see the relationship between food allergy, vitamin D and immune function in infants.
Who can take part?
Mothers with infants:
- Age 6-8 weeks
- Planning to be primarily breastfed until 6 months of age (not exclusively bottle-fed)
- Living in Greater Melbourne, Victoria
Who cannot take part?
- Infants already receiving vitamin D supplementation
- Infants born under 37 weeks gestation, under 2.5kg or with a significant medical problem
What will I be asked to do?
- Participate in one initial home visit where we will collect samples.
- Complete 4 online surveys in your child’s first year of life.
- Attend a free allergy test appointment when your child turns one year old at the Royal Children’s Hospital.
- Give your baby one drop of a vitamin or placebo every day.
How can I find out more?
If you have any questions about the study, please contact Dr Michael Field at 03 9936 6027 or at firstname.lastname@example.org